In our first Video Blog, Dr Laura Purdy introduces herself and her new blog. She begins by telling us about herself and her path towards Journeys Home. She discusses a recent certification she earned and how she hopes to share the information she has gained.
Dr Purdy completed a 16-month certification course (including an on-site 3-day conference and day-long communication intensive) developed by the IAAHPC . She is now officially a Certified Hospice & Palliative Care Veterinarian. The IAAHPC (International Association of Animal Hospice & Palliative Care) has done an incredible job of consolidating and distilling all the current information we have on hospice and palliative topics for animals.
A wide amount of information was covered by this certification program such as:
- what science currently knows about animal cognition and emotions
- ethical considerations surrounding end of life in pets
- what natural death is and the stages of death
- medical and nursing care for a wide variety of diseases that occur at end of life
- what we can do as veterinarians
- how we can empower pet owners to provide a comfortable environment for their pet
Finally, a large part of the program was dedicated to pain:
- how to detect pain
- how pain develops
- how to treat, manage, and alleviate pain
Dr Laura’s goal is to create more of these video blogs around a wide variety of topics surrounding end of life for our pets and the animals that we love. We know that it can be very intimidating to start a discussion as a pet owner.
We hope a video blog is an approachable way to provide information and make it a little less scary to pick up the phone to speak with one of us. We are, as always, here to help.
More of our videos can be found here: Journeys Home Pet on Youtube