Our pets are family, and when we lose a family member, or close friend, it is natural to experience grief over that loss. Here is a list of resources to help you through this difficult time.
Remembering Our Pets Annual Event
Remembering Our Pets Event is held in September in conjunction with the National Pet Remembrance Day. This is an event I am proud to sponsor, and provides pet families a safe place to celebrate their pets lives and a ceremony to honor them.
Pet Loss Support Group:
Check PLRC website for more information and date of their next session: Pet Loss Resources Center (PLRC)
Financial support, education & awareness for families whose canines have been diagnosed with cancerwww.czarspromise.com
Online grief resources:
- Rainbows Bridge web site: There is a Pet Loss Grief Support Center on this website that features helpful information for everyone experiencing a pet loss, and a workbook for children to cope with the loss of a pet.
- Grief and Pet Loss– article by Margaret Muns DVM
- 10 Tips on coping with pet loss
- Studies suggest some animals grieve loss too
- Argus Institute: Helping children with pet loss
Books for Children:
- Remembering Pets, by Gina Dalpra-Berman
- I’ll Always Love You, by Hans Wilhelm
- The Tenth Good Thing About Barney, by Judy Viorst
- The Fall of Freddie the Leaf, by Leo Buscaglia
- Remembering My Pet, by Nachama Liss-Levinson, PHD and Rev. Molly Phinney Baskette,MDiv
Books for Adults:
- Goodbye My Friend: Grieving the Loss of a Pet, by Mary and Herb Montgomery
- Loving and Losing a Pet, by Michael Stern, PhD and Susan Cropper, DVM
- Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet, by Moira K. Allen
- Crossing the Rainbow Bridge, by Colleen Nicholson